Bart van Stratum
- Contact @ work
- The Netherlands
I am a researcher, mostly working on turbulent processes in the atmospheric boundary layer, using (and developing) tools like large-eddy simulation and conceptual models.
After studying meteorology at the Wageningen University (Netherlands), I obtained my doctoral degree at the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology in Hamburg (Germany). I currently work as a researcher at Wageningen University & Research (WUR).
MicroHH is a computational fluid dynamics code, made for DNS and LES studies of turbulent flows in the atmosphere. The model was designed from scratch in C++, with the goal to create a a fast and highly parallel code, capable of running on >10000 CPU cores. In addition, it is capable of running on Graphical Processing Units (GPUs) using NVIDIA's CUDA-C language. The current version supports a wide variety of setups, ranging from DNS of neutral channel flows, to fully realistic LES with radiation, microphysics, and land-atmosphere interactions. The reference paper of MicroHH 1.0 is available online.
Our Vimeo channel has a number of animations, which showcase the kind of research that we do with MicroHH.
CLASS is a conceptual (mixed-layer) model intended to study the convective boundary layer, and its coupling to the soil, land-surface, chemistry, and clouds. It was developed as part of our book: Atmospheric Boundary Layer: Integrating Chemistry and Land Interactions.. We provide several versions, including an educational version with graphical user interface, and research versions written in Python and Fortran. More information is available on the CLASS website.
- M. Janssens, J. Vila-Guerau de Arellano, C.C. van Heerwaarden, B.J.H. van Stratum, S.R. De Roode, A.P. Siebesma, and F. Glassmeier (2022): The time scale of shallow convective self-aggregation in large-eddy simulations is sensitive to numerics. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., (10.1029/2022MS003292)
- M. Tijhuis, B.J.H. van Stratum, M.A. Veerman, and C.C. van Heerwaarden (2022): An Efficient Parameterization for Surface Shortwave 3D Radiative Effects in Large-Eddy Simulations of Shallow Cumulus Clouds.. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., (10.1029/2022MS003262)
- M.A. Veerman, B.J.H. van Stratum, and C.C. van Heerwaarden (2022): A case study of cumulus convection over land in cloud-resolving simulations with a coupled ray tracer.. Geophys. Res. Lett., (10.1029/2022GL100808)
- B.J.H. van Stratum, N. Theeuwes, J. Barkmeijer, B. van Ulft, and I. Wijnant (2022): A one-year-long evaluation of a wind-farm parameterisation in HARMONIE-AROME. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., (10.1029/2021MS002947)
- R.B. Schulte, M.C. van Zanten, B.J.H. van Stratum, and J. Vilà-Guerau de Arellano (2022): Assessing representativity of NH3 measurements influenced by boundary-layer dynamics and turbulent dispersion of a nearby emission source. Atmos. Chem. Phys., (10.5194/acp-22-8241-2022)
- A. Raznjevic, C.C. van Heerwaarden, B.J.H. van Stratum, A. Hensen, I. Velzeboer, P. van den Bulk, and M.C. Krol (2022): Technical note: Interpretation of field observations of point-source methane plume using observation-driven large-eddy simulations. Atmos. Chem. Phys. (10.5194/acp-22-6489-2022)
- F. Couvreux, E. Bazile, Q. Rodier, B. Maronga, G. Matheou, M.J. Chinita, J. Edwards, B.J.H. van Stratum, C.C. van Heerwaarden, J. Huang, and A.F. Moene (2020): Intercomparison of Large-Eddy Simulations of the Antarctic Boundary Layer for Very Stable Stratification. Boundary-Layer Meteorol (10.1007/s10546-020-00539-4)
- B.J.H. van Stratum, B. Stevens (2018): The impact of vertical mixing biases in large-eddy simulation on nocturnal low clouds. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst. (10.1029/2017MS001239)
- C.C. van Heerwaarden, B.J.H. van Stratum, T. Heus, J.A. Gibbs, E. Fedorovich, and J.P. Mellado (2017): MicroHH 1.0: a computational fluid dynamics code for direct numerical simulation and large-eddy simulation of atmospheric boundary layer flows, Geosci. Model Dev. (10.5194/gmd-2017-41).
- B.J.H. van Stratum, B. Stevens (2015): The influence of misrepresenting the nocturnal boundary layer on idealized daytime convection in large-eddy simulation. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., 07 (10.1002/2014MS000370)
- B.J.H. van Stratum, J. Vila-Guerau de Arellano, C.C. van Heerwaarden, and H.G. Ouwersloot (2014): Sub-cloud layer feedbacks driven by the mass-flux of shallow cumulus convection over land. J. Atmos. Sci. 71, 881–895 (10.1175/JAS-D-13-0192.1)
- H.G. Ouwersloot, J. Vila-Guerau de Arellano, B.J.H. van Stratum, M.C. Krol, and J. Lelieveld (2013): Quantifying the transport of sub-cloud layer reactants by shallow cumulus clouds over amazonia. J. Geophys. Res-Atmos. 118, 13,041–13,059 (10.1002/2013JD020431)
- B.J.H. van Stratum, J. Vila-Guerau de Arellano et al. (2012): Case study of the diurnal variability of chemically active species with respect to boundary layer dynamics during DOMINO. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12 (12), 5329–5341 (10.5194/acp-12-5329-2012)
- J. Vila-Guerau de Arellano, C.C. van Heerwaarden, B.J.H. van Stratum, K. van den Dries (2015): Atmospheric Boundary Layer: Integrating Chemistry and Land Interactions. Cambridge Univ. Press, ISBN 9781107090941 (website)
- B.J.H. van Stratum, (2017). The influence of misrepresenting the nocturnal boundary layer on daytime convection in large-eddy simulation. PhD Thesis, Max Planck Institute for Meteorology/Universität Hamburg, Hamburg
- B.J.H. van Stratum, S. Basu, I.L. Wijnant, J. Barkmeijer, J. Onvlee, and A.P. Siebesma, (2019). Wind turbine parametrisation in HARMONIE-AROME. KNMI technical report TR-377 (download)
- B.J.H. van Stratum, A.P. Siebesma, J. Barkmeijer, and B. van Ulft, (2019). Downscaling HARMONIE-AROME with large-eddy simulation. KNMI technical report TR-378 (download)
- I.L. Wijnant, B. van Ulft, B.J.H. van Stratum, J. Barkmeijer, J. Onvlee, C. de Valk, S. Knoop, S. Kok, G.J. Marseille, H. Klein Baltink, and A. Stepek, (2019). The Dutch Offshore Wind Atlas (DOWA): description of the dataset. KNMI technical report TR-380 (download)